Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My Mini Miracle or Why This Blog Exists

Where the Title of This Blog Comes From:

In Chapter 1 of the text book of A Course In Miracles - "The Meaning of Miracles," one learns about the Principles of Miracles.

Principle #6 is: "Miracles are natural. When they do not occur something has gone wrong."


Somehow I've always known this, and the most spirit-lifting things to me are the little synchronicities and unexpected serendipitous experiences that happen all the time. The purpose of this blog is for me to finally and actively take notice.


My Decision to Write this Blog:

I was in the middle of coordinating many many pages to be signed and notarized by various people, none of whom I would be with to guide through the process when I ran out of paper. I NEVER run out of paper. Ever.

I CAN BE very organized (though I don't always practice that skill) but for this project, because of the confusion of where to sign and in what capacity (seller/buyer/grantee/grantor/etc), I had all the locations needing signatures and notarizations labeled with different colored post-its depending upon who needed to do what. I also had post-its with directions for different line items. I'd been at it for two days, and was, frankly, mentally exhausted. I felt good, I was happy, I was having fun (I am a detail geek), and I was just really really tired, but I needed paper. I had to finish what I was doing that evening. I called Costco, and yahoo yahoo, they were still open.

I drove there, grabbed a cart, and walked, rather jauntily for someone who could keel over at any moment, to the isle that housed the paper. It was next to the cell phone kiosk. I looked at the paper and my exhaustion kicked in. I thought, how the hell am I going to get that huge box into this cart? But there was already a carton of paper, the kind I was wanting to buy, in a cart, balanced in the place where one would place a child. I looked around and asked the Cell Phone Guy if someone was coming back for the cart.

"Nope. It's been there for hours. I almost put it back but it seems pretty well balanced so I just left it."

I smiled at him. "Thanks. It's mine." I said walking to the check out stand.

I was in line playing Candy Crush on my phone waiting my turn. I pretend that I only play games when I'm in situations like this where there really is nothing else to do, but that's a lie. I play games all the time.

As I was standing there, a very nice gentleman, older than my 62 years, tapped me on the shoulder. "Hi, I'm checking out over there," he said pointing to an aisle two lanes away, "I'd be happy to help you get your paper into your car if you'd like."

"Yes! Please! Thank you thank you thank you. Usually I'm really strong and could do this, but today I am kind of exhausted, so thanks a million."

I paid for the paper and met him by the door. He was nice. We talked about prop 13, and living in Orange County. And he did indeed lift the box easily into the back of my Prius. We talked about saving gas and the Tesla and a few other things. It was a very pleasant encounter.

At home I cut open the box, which I left in the car for the next two days, and took a ream of paper upstairs with me. I felt so good that I easily finished everything I needed to do.

Later I talked to a friend about this lovely synchronistic, beautiful, series of events, and during our conversation I decided I wanted to blog about miracles because I want to remember them. I guess I want to show them that I appreciate them, and that they are important and meaningful to me. Also, I've often found that what I focus on, I get more of. I've had a lot of interesting miracles in my life - and I'll talk about some of them later, but now I want to take my butterfly net of joy - gently capture them and display them mostly for myself, but if anyone else wants to enjoy the process with me, I can just say - I hope you are tracking your own miracles or whatever it is that makes you feel joy, peace, playfulness, wholeness, and delight.

2 comments: